Any Bandsters in Meridian, Ms???

Farmgirl58
on 4/22/09 12:03 pm - AL
Hello, my name is Sheila, will be having Realize Band installed the 18th of may, and the doctor I use Dr. Hannon told me there are several patients in the Meridian area that have been banded.
I am interested in a local support group, maybe meet once a month, or maybe several of us get together to attend the support group in Tuscaloosa at the hospital there.  i am going to need a lot of support, and if there were local people to help, might help all of us.  If so, please contact me through this site.  I live in Butler, Al, but work at the Naval Air Station in Meridian.  so, it would be convienient to meet after work.  If interested, please contact me.  Farmgirl58
Officegirlblues
on 4/22/09 12:34 pm - Jackson, AL
Hey, Sheila! I'm not in Meridian but I am in Jackson, AL (close to Mobile) and was banded in Ocean Springs, MS. We have an awesome support group there. I know it is about a 2.5 hour drive from Meridian to Ocean Springs but I think they also have a support group in Hattiesburg, which is only about 1.5 hours.

I have immediate family in Butler and lived there for a good while myself and go to the area regularly. Small world, huh? Let me know if you'd like to get together sometime.
Farmgirl58
on 4/22/09 12:49 pm - AL
Hi, nice to hear from someone who knows where Butler, al is located.  I think it is only about an hour from Butler, is themeetings there in Jackson?  Ocean Springs would be too far for me to travel, as I get off from work at 4:15, work at the Naval Air station which is about 15 miles north of Meridian.  I travel approx.48 miles one way to work.  I do not know why Meridian does not have a support group, there was one at one time, but they were gastric bypass patients, and they disbannded,  Dr. Hannon told me that it would be best to attend a meeting strickly for lap band patients as our needs are different from bypassers.  I found there is a group in Tuscaloosa which is about an hour and half drive from meridian, so I might check them out...pretty direct drive from the Naval Air Station. I think they have a meeting tomorrow evening, if I feel better, might drive over there to check it out.  I am about an hour and half to two hours from Hattiesburg also. 
How are you doing with your lap band? How long have you had it and are you doing ok with it?  Can't wait to have mine installed and start losing.  I like the fact that we lose it slowly, gives our body time to shrink with the weight loss, as with gastric the weight loss is so fast, the skin does not have time to shrink to keep up with it.  My mom had the gastric done about 10yrs ago, and starting putting her weight back on in less than 5yrs after the surgery, so did my brother, that is why I decided on the band, less invasive and a good tract record for keeping the weight off.
Anyway, good luck to you, and lets keep in touch.  Farmgirl58
Officegirlblues
on 4/22/09 1:10 pm - Jackson, AL
I've had my Realize band for about 14 months now and I can honestly say without a doubt that it has been the most liberating and enjoyable 14 months of my entire life. I wake up every day thanking God for this band and the people that use it.

I feel wonderful. I am no longer a diabetic, I no longer have asthma and I am no longer on 6 different medications a day. I feel like an ordinary, happy and most importantly HEALTHY human being instead of a disgusting failure that doesn't deserve to be seen in public. I went to sleep for a 30 minute surgery and woke up a whole new person. Somehow, somewhere, I got to push the do-over button and I have been given a 2nd chance to make the most of my life.

Definitely go to support group meetings. Seek out people that seem open and friendly and don't hold back on any question. If you think it and you want to know it, ask it. If they won't tell you, come back and ask it here. The more knowledge you have, the more you are empowered to use this tool in your new life.
2legit2quit
on 4/23/09 1:42 pm - MS
RNY on 10/24/12

There is support group meeting in Hattiesburg, MS the last Tues of every month.   Starts at 6pm.  Doesn't matter if you are not a patient of the clinic. It is giving by Bariatric Nurses from Dr. Avara's Office.

Officegirlblues
on 4/27/09 12:23 pm - Jackson, AL
Hey 2legit! I didn't know you were an Avara patient, too!
Most Active